Hmmm…time to call an audible.
I hadn’t attempted this recipe before, so I had no idea how this would turn out. I actually ended up REALLY liking it and so did Mason-we ate half the pan for dinner!
Mexican Zucchini & Squash Bake
3 small zucchini
2 medium yellow squash
2 tsp ground Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
2/3 Cup Light Sour Cream
12oz. crumbled Queso Fresco (reserve about 1/4 to top the casserole)
1/2 C shredded Cheddar (or Mexican blend) Cheese
2 Tb Lime juice
salt and pepper
- Set oven to broil and spray a large (I used 9×13) casserole dish with nonstick spray. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or
- Wash and slice squash/zucchini into 1/4″ slices. If large (the yellow ones I had were fairly big), cut them in half lengthwise before slicing.
- Arrange squash/zucchini slices on baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt, cumin and chili powder. (you can mix them first if you want-I tend to measure less, and just go for it).
- Broil for 10 minutes or so, until your zucchini/squash has sweat some liquid out. While it’s broiling, beat together your eggs, sour cream, cheeses and lime juice.
- Reduce oven to 375°F
- Arrange about half of your broiled zucchini/squash into the casserole dish and spread roughly half of the egg mixture on the top. Arrange the rest of the zucchini/squash and top with the rest of the egg mixture. Top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the rest of the crumbled Queso Fresco
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is slightly set. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes to finish setting up and serve hot.
*I switched up the cooking method for the zucchini/squash because if you look closely here you can see there was quite a bit of water when I made it according to My Kitchen Escapades directions. I prefer to sweat the veggies a bit so that it turns out less watery. If you prefer not to do that, just follow her directions and it’ll still turn out great!