Last minute treats are always a good thing to have up your sleeve. The hard part is when you may not have typical ingredients on hand, or like Mason and I are doing right now-you are only purchasing the things you have meal planned for so there aren’t lots of extra ingredients lying around to whip up random recipes.
I need a quick treat Sunday night and was determined to use just what I had on hand at home. I found this recipe and tweaked it to what I had and what sounded good. I was also thinking they would be great instead of putting chocolate chips into the cookie to melt and drizzle on top-oh, dear!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup (I had some regular and light corn syrup on hand so it was a mix of the two)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
tsp salt (just a pinch)
- 1+1/3 cup peanut butter (I used half crunchy, half creamy)
- 4 cups Cereal (I used mostly Corn Flakes + about 1 cup of Whole Grain Flakes)
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Prepare a 9×13 pan-either grease or I used Korean “paper foil” AKA parchment/wax paper. Works great for that kind of thing!
- Stir together Sugar, Corn
Syrup, Vanilla, Cocoa
Powder and Salt in a medium/large saucepan (everything will be in this pan when you finish so leave yourself room) over medium-low heat.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to maintain a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add Peanut Butter to the saucepan *carefully-it tends to plop!*, stirring in to melt together.
- Add Chocolate Chips to the saucepan, stirring in to barely melt together.
- Add Cereal and stir to coat. (turn off heat)
- Press mixture into the pan evenly. Cool and cut into bars!
I didn’t actually get to eat these, but the hubby reported they were a hit so I had to record the concoction for future reference. And really, can you beat chocolate and peanut butter?!