My eyes were not even open this morning when I realized that I was drooling for a LEMON muffin. The craving persisted all morning so I started looking at a few recipes and almost made lemon bars just because of how amazing they taste. However, I knew it would be better to make muffins that we could eat not just for a snack but maybe even for breakfast tomorrow. yumm!
I took another recipe found on allrecipes.com and tweaked it to fit what I wanted, which worked out perfectly!
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (I happened to have and therefore used fresh, washed and sliced in half)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Combine the first five dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, butter, lemon and vanilla; mix well. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in berries.
- Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter. Here I used my large silicone liners which worked so well and made 6 extra large muffins!
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool and serve!